Friday, September 15, 2006

Personal Reflections on Islam

Okay, I know just in typing this I will have many people upset at me but it is something I've wanted to type for a while now.

Everyone has probably heard about the Pope offending Muslims, unintentionally of course.

Now, if someone came up to me and said, "overeating makes you fat," why in the world would I react in rage to their comment by pigging out? It makes no sense unless I am not a human being functioning on a rational level but simply responding on my emotions in a tantrum-like manner to something I did not like.

So, the Pope tries to make the point that religious beliefs are never an excuse for violence and what happens? Muslims react enraged with violence.

Personally I see this as evidence of my personal belief regarding Islam for a while now. Now, let me be clear...
I DO NOT BELIEVE EVERY MUSLIM IS EVIL.
I DO NOT BELIEVE ISLAM ITSELF IS EVIL.
I DO BELIEVE THAT ISLAM HAS A NATURAL PROPENSITY TOWARDS EVIL.

I hope those are clear to avoid misconception. I've known people who were very nice, not terrorists in the slightest, and were indeed proud to be Muslims. I am NOT speaking about them or any like them. However, given history and recent political events, I have come to believe that Islam has a natural tendency to being interpreted and used for evil and recent headlines support my belief.

I find it childishly absurd that Muslims react so violently to any "insult" even if it happens to be true. I've never heard of a people being so sensitive as to throw violent tantrums because someone disagreed with them.

And this is not only true of the fanatical terrorists, either, as the media demonstrates - it is quite a number of Muslims.

I sincerely hope the Pope does not apologize simply because HE DID NOTHING WRONG! He quoted a historical fact for the purpose of demonstrating a personal and Catholic belief - that religion never be used to justify violence.

It would appear that it is a Muslim belief that if anyone says or does anything to offend you, then you are justified in getting angry to the point of burning, exploding, igniting, shooting, etc. until you feel vindicated. And it does not appear that this belief is held only by Osama Bin Laden and his cronies but by a fair amount if not all of the Muslim world. And such a belief is, indeed, evil. Hence my belief that Islam has a natual propensity towards evil.

I don't know about you, but I know which religion I prefer to hold.

No comments: