Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Northanger Abbey

Well, I have now read all of Jane Austen's six novels. My order of preference is as follows:

Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey.

But do not think I disliked any of them. I liked all of them but to varying degrees. Pride and Prejudice remains my favorite of all books for I have seldom found it matched in humor, wit, tenderness or morality. Emma is plain and simply a fun and fantastic read - one I look forward to in the future. Mansfield Park is a great drama with much to say for itself and much to reflect upon both on the subject of matrimony as well as that of parenting. Sense and Sensibility is warm and tender. Persuasion's appeal is directed to the subject of second chances at love and the tender suffering endured by rejecting it the first time. Northanger Abbey is a satirical parody and, in this, very different from her other novels. In it Austen directs many sentiments directly to her reader acknowledging her "fable" and the rules thereof poking fun at the novel, particularly horror novels of her time, and society in general.

I think, before I read her short stories, I would like to reread Pride and Prejudice. I have watched the miniseries so many times since I last read it I think it would be good to refresh myself with the book before venturing into her unfinished novels, prayers and letters.

Overall I must say I find it quite sad indeed that Jane Austen is not more read today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!